Ladies, it’s time to get real about body hair. We all have it, and it’s nothing to be ashamed of. After all, it’s a beautiful gift of nature that plays an important role because each strand of hair acts as a sensitive touch receptor. This means that each strand of hair connects to your nervous system allowing you to feel sensations like touch, heat, cold, and pain.
Today’s media portrays a beautiful woman as one who walks around effortlessly with little to none body hair. This has started a trend and a gush of body hair removal services in the beauty industry. So, if you’re looking for options on hair removal, we’ve collected a few pros and cons on two of the most popular salon-based hair removal methods out there – waxing and IPL hair removal. So read on and find out which is more suitable for you!
What is it?
Waxing is a semi-permanent hair removal method that removes hair from the root. There are a variety of waxes, such as specially-formulated hard waxes, soft waxes, honey waxes, sugar-based waxes, and more. The process of waxing is simple: A thin layer of warm wax is applied on the targeted area, then a piece of waxing paper is applied on top of the wax before being lifted off in quick and efficient motions.
- Since the hair is removed from the root, your skin should stay hair-free for up to four to six weeks. So get ready to flaunt that smooth, smooth skin.
- Repeated waxing is also said to reduce your hair regrowth and result in finer-looking hairs.
- Lastly, since the wax applied also sticks to the skin, waxing also has exfoliating benefits as the wax removes a thin layer of the dermis.
- Pain. Waxing is a painful process, especially if you have thick, dark, and coarse hair.
- Some people might also be allergic to the wax or latex gloves used during the waxing process. That’s why it’s important to do a patch test when you go to a salon for the first time.
- Waxing opens up your hair follicles and leaves it exposed. This leaves it vulnerable to infections, ingrown hair, and scars. So remember to choose a salon that offers a clean atmosphere, has strict hygiene rules, and doesn’t skimp on the antiseptic application.
Where can I Fave it?
- Bubble Gum Wax: Brazilian / Bikini / Lower Leg Waxing + Underarms Waxing for 1 Person
- Waxtique: Brazilian Waxing + One (1) Complimentary Firming Mask for 1 Person
Intense Pulse Removal (IPL)
What is it?
Intense Pulsed Light (IPL) hair removal is also a semi-permanent hair removal method, but unlike waxing the hair is not pulled out from the root. Instead, IPL uses the wonders of technology to generate bursts (or pulses) of light waves across the spectrum. This provides targeted heat on the hair bulb, resulting in longer-lasting, hair-free skin.
While IPL does not permanently remove hair from the skin, it does permanently reduce the total number of hairs on the skin. The process is, again quite simple, the visible hairs are shaved for better access to the hair bulb, a cooling gel is applied, then the beautician takes the IPL device and applies pulses of light on the targeted area.
- It’s mostly pain-free. While the amount of pain felt truly depends on the individual, most accounts of IPL hair removal say that it feels like a pinch or a rubber band snap on the area.
- IPL hair removal results in much longer hairlessness. Depending on the thickness of hair, body part, and quantity of hair, you can look forward to months or even years of hair-free skin.
- IPL also has the anti-ageing benefits. The lights in the machine also help reduce the appearance of fine lines, wrinkles, pigmentation, and even spider veins.
- A minimum of 6 to 12 sessions is needed to see visible and long-lasting benefits. This is because not all hair bulbs will be active at every IPL session. So a number of sessions are needed to target as many as possible.
- IPL hair removal is more expensive when compared to other hair removal methods like shaving and waxing. Add in the fact that more than a few sessions are needed and you have a bundle of salon bills that will need paying. But don’t worry too much about that for now, we have a few Fave offers to keep your wallet padded.
Where can I Fave it?
- Musee Platinum: SSC Hair Removal Package for Underarm and Bikini Line + FREE RM150 Cash Voucher for 1 Person (Unlimited Sessions)
- Japan IPL Express: 100-Shot IPL Hair Removal for 1 Person
- Clariancy: IPL Hair Removal for Arms, Legs, Bikini Line, Lip and More (6 Credits)
- Pure Skin: 1-Year (12 sessions) Sharplight IPL Hair Removal for 1 Person (Large Area)
We have more…
Just because society, the media, and peer pressure have a specific image beauty, that doesn’t mean that you have to follow it. Each and every one of us is beautiful, strong, and just overall fantastic, with or without body hair. So if you love your hair and want to keep it, we say you do you girl!
Take a look at Makeover with Fave instead for a variety of other massage and beauty offers. Browse through hundreds of deals for massages, hair colouring, mani-pedis, facials, and more. Keep an eye out for Flash Deals, and indulge in your favourite treatments at some extra special prices!